Can we hide the javascript code in view source?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Development Team

Can we hide the javascript code in view source?

Postby Jaguar on Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:07 am

t :?:

There has been a discussion among some fellow webmasters in reference to counters on web pages. It seems that the major Link List sites have banned the use of all counters and pages or web sites submitted to them for listing. This is most often done by checking page source for the javascript code.

Question is there a way to hide the code we use on each page of a web script that we want counted so that it does not show in page view source?

Could we call the important part to the page with php include and if so how would the php script to accomplish this look.

I have found this to be by far and away the best counter with the kind of information I want to see at my finger tips.
I currently have it installed on 25 of my web sites. I have been using the Pphlogger 2.2.5 since the end of April.

The question about hiding the javascript code came up because one of the webmasters had his domain banned for using a third party counter called webstats.

It seems that the explanation from the webmaster of the LL was that to many webmasters were planting dialers and other items in a surfers computer. So they are banning any and all counters.

This can only be known by viewing the page source, so can we hide it and still have the counter work?

I would appreciated any idea's put forth. One the webmasters came up with a script that could be use to call the code to the page. Question is will it work and will the javscript show in view source of the page or will it be hidden?
Jaguar

May be easy

Postby jman on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:54 pm

It may be really easy to hide the counter from automated scripts since they must look for some exact phrase that identifies the Javascript as counter code. Solution: change the code a bit:
    Remove comments
    Change variable names
    Consider renaming your PPHlogger folders

This should sufficiently confuse automated counter detectors unless they are looking for ANY Javascript, which would be ridiculous.

- Josh
jman

Can we hide the javascript code

Postby Jaguar on Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:27 pm

Thanks for the comments on this subject, but what I believe the problem is the LL and TGP owners want to ban any javascript as they fear that it could be code that can cause damage or infect a viewers computer.
Jaguar

Postby lionel on Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:19 pm

who are these link list sites?
lionel

Can we hide the javascript code on a page

Postby Jaguar on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:06 pm

Sorry that I did not spell it out but I am referring to Link List sites in the adult category such as Link-O-Rama etc. This also includes the major TGP the Hun.

I have seen one webmaster who has been able to do this with his program but I am not familiar with the one he is using.
Jaguar

Postby sdjl on Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:53 am

You could always just write yourself a PHP function to check if the current visitor is using a known browser such as IE, Friefox, Opera, Netscape, etc and then only show the JS code if that browser type is matched.

Most TGP and link list sites would probably use a script to do their checking, which would (in theory) result in no browser type showing..

David
sdjl

Postby lionel on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:57 pm

ahh, i see :)

David's solution sounds the best way :)
lionel

Return to Phlogger3 feature requests