Conversion tracking?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Development Team

Conversion tracking?

Postby sjordan on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:46 am

Hello,

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post my question; however, I did not see a forum for evaluation/pre-use of the software nor was my question answered in the features list.

Having said that....

Can the current logger be used to track conversions similar to the way in which www.websidestory.com (formerly hitbox.com) does?

I think an example is best. What typically happens with conversition tracking is :

1. I as the tracking provider gives a user two pieces of Javascript:

a. one he puts on everypage he wants tracked (this handles all things like click path, counts, page views, etc). JS snippet A

b. the other is typically placed on a 'thank you' page after some desired action has taken place, such as a sale. We'll call this JS snippet B

2. The user then creates some type of collateral that he wants to traffic out to a third party and track the performance of. For example, he gives www.thirdpartydomain.com a banner with a landing url of www.usersdomain.com/index.php?referrer=3P

3. Finally any traffic from www.thirdpartydomain.com that makes it all the way to the thank you page of www.usersdomain.com is counted as a coversition by JS Snippet B. Of course JS Snippet A has tracked every other desired stat of the visit.

This is some times referred to as 'closing the loop' in marketing or business circles.

Thank you in advance.

Salim
sjordan

Postby sdjl on Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:39 am

The current version provides no means to track referrals across pages automatically.
You can look through each log entry manually, but as you'd probably understand, this will take some time.

David
sdjl

Return to Phlogger3 feature requests