PHPee.com PHP development forum
System Resource/Bandwidth Limitations?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KidGeek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: System Resource/Bandwidth Limitations? Reply with quote
My last counter code was built in Perl.
I was shut down by one hosting company years ago because it slowed everyones sites down. They offered me my own free server, but it was to late I moved the site to a friends datacenter who had a dual Sun box. But it shut his chatroom down after a while..

I had over 5000 sites registered in a little under 3 months.

I would love to open this back up.
But honestly I'm scared.
Now days I have my own servers.
I expect to reach about 10,000 sites very quickly.

I'm currently running all P4 2.4 GHZ with 1 gig memory.
Can anyone tell me how many servers I would need to run this?
The top 100 sites receive about 10,000 hits a day.
So we are looking at millions of hits a day.

Has anyone on any level kept any stats based on hits per day?
How much system resources and bandwidth is needed for X amount of hits per day?
sdjl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personally i have no experience of running this software with that amount of hits per day, per site.
I think it really depends on how well MySQL is setup to be used on your server. With each new hit to your sites getting logged, an entry is created in the database. As long as your database can handle a million hits a day without falling over, you should be fine.

I'll see if i can get a person whom i know has a lot of users on his server into this topic. They may be able to add some info that i don't know Smile

David
lionel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey there Smile

Hehe, i don't know if I can can anything that you don't know David Smile

It really doesn't use much bandwidth at all seeing as the data packets sent back to the database are really small, i get around half a million hits a day and that's using up 500mb a day, so say if you had 10 million hits you could aim at 10gb a day.

I have it on a vps with a min 256mhz and 192mb ram - max is 3.2ghz and 4gb ram, and will soon be upgrading to the next vps (they're more economical as they're fully managed), i'm just starting to see failed services such as apache and cpsrvd which means i'm maxing out the ram mainly, the more ram the better. (the machine is a dual xeon with HT though)

I think if you doubled the ram and had nothing else on the server then it would be fine, at the most you would need to load balance two servers, no point in putting the database on one and the site on the other because the database IS the site, but one server should be fine Smile

may i ask, how do you plan on getting so many users in so little time?

who is your server provider? are you colocating? it would be worth your while to get atleast a single cpu with HT Smile

Lionel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    phpee.com Forum Index -> PPhlogger Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1