PHPee.com PHP development forum
How to track visitors to sub-domain site? An Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: How to track visitors to sub-domain site? An Questions Reply with quote
I have been using PPHLogger since April 2004. I have been setting up a sub-domain for one of my domains that I have as a user account. How do I set up this sub-domain up to be tracked by pphLogger?

Do I have to create another user account or can I simply add the index page to the alternative page list. Do I have to include the PHP call at the top of the index page of this sub-domain?

I have a few more questions that I would like some help on as follows.

I had a instance where I did not receive or the email for a new user was accidently deleted, how do I create another email for that account?

My last question is about the use of the PHP call placed at the top of the domain index page and the php.js code that is placed in the body tags of all pages that are to be tracked.
I was under the impression that the PHP script call for pphlogger goes only on the index page and no where else and the pphlogger.js code goes on every page to be tracked. Am I correct as I have had a discussion with another webmaster who said he thought that both had to be on every page. Which is correct?
sdjl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Regarding your first question:
You can just add the subdomain to an existing account, but i think any pages will be logged in the way of /page.html rather than sub.domain.com/page.html
This means that you may get page merges and unreliable data.
Best if you open a new account really.

The code that you get to log your pages needs to go on every page.

David
Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: How to track visitors to sub-domains Reply with quote
Thank you for your quick reply David.

I had an idea that it might be best to open another account for the sub-domains for the reason you mentioned but was not really sure.

OK now to clarify my other questions,

I am not using the standard implementation but using the PHP&JS method. My question is that something in the manual confuses me.

Quote:
Use the following code and make sure this gets executed somewhere between the tags:

$id = "username";
define('PPHL_SCRIPT_PATH', '/home/your_domain/htdocs/pphlogger/'); // relative (e.g. "pphlogger/") or absolute path to your PP-directory
$st = 'phpjs';
// $showme = 'y';
include(PPHL_SCRIPT_PATH."pphlogger.php");
?>

This is the ideal solution for webmasters who run PPhlogger on the same server where they run their site(s). Actually this consumes a little bit more capacity but that's no big deal (All other useraccounts are only able to call PPhlogger by IMG/JS).

I run Pphlogger on the same server for all of my domains. I don't understand the statement that the code above is suppose to be placed between the body tags. I was under the impression that the code went on the top of the page before the .

I have that code on my domains index page and have this code just below the tag on every page of the site.

If you or anyone else can enlighten me it would be much appreciated. I do get all the information in my logs that it is suppose to provide.
I am just wondering why it says that the PHP&JS approach is suppose to be placed in the body of the page. Which is correct?
sdjl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you're using the PHPJS version, do as it says in the manual and put it in your tags somewhere.

If you're using the JS version, then stick it in the tags somewhere.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    phpee.com Forum Index -> PPhlogger Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1