PHPee.com PHP development forum
Calander Timeout

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesCMM4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Calander Timeout Reply with quote
Phplogger ver. 2.2.1

I using phplogger on a number of sites and it is working great on sites that only one doing a few hundred uniques a day, however 5 of my sites do over 10,000 uniques a day and It is taking over 30 secs just to log in and check the stats, and the browser keeps timming out.

Also I like to keep my logs of around 40 days so that I can get the total monthly uniques for a site... When I try to enter the calander area it just times out.. same with the stats area also..

1) What do I need to do in order to keep logs for 40 days yet still be able to check stats..

2) How do I clear the logs every 40 days to ensure the file that is being read by php Logger does not get to large..

3) Is it just the volume of uniques I am doing that is the problem...

4) I was also wanting to know how phplogger works. Like does it create its own log files and if so where are they storred becuase I cannot find them...

5) Would it not be better to have the option of having the stats compiled each night instead of in real time, so that when you click on stats it calls a file that is allready compiled rather than having to run a query when you click the link.. ( If that is how the program works, I don't know just guessing)

Any suggestons..

thanks and sorry for the long post..

James
Carsten Albrecht

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Calander Timeout Reply with quote
> 1) What do I need to do in order to keep logs for 40 days yet still be able to check stats..

You either must have access to the php.ini file of your webserver to set the php timeout to a higher value (e.g. 180 seconds) or your webserver must not run php in so-called secure mode - then you would be able to set the timeout for yourself with the set_time_out() command at the beginning of each page.
To speed up reading the logs you may think about inserting indices into your database, but this will be not too easy and affords some experimentation which indices will do the job and which won't.

make sure your webserver runs php in module mod not cgi mode - module mode is up to 37 times faster than cgi mode.

last but not least you may try to upgrade your webserver to a system with more performance, like compiling your own special versions of the underlying unix system, own apache, own php and own mysql - or just upgrade your memory, diskdrives and cpu speed. you see, it is everything but easy to handle so many uniqs a day.

> 2) How do I clear the logs every 40 days to ensure the file that is being read by php Logger does not get to large..

If you wanna clear the logs each first of month then you need to write a little script that reads out each counter-id and empties the xxxxx_logs of each account. this is best done via a cron job, but again, you will get timeout problems, if you can't modify the php timeout (see above).
If you just wanna rotate the logs for 30 or 40 days, just set up dellog_lim_global in setup.php process.

> 3) Is it just the volume of uniques I am doing that is the problem...

Yes. See above.

> 4) I was also wanting to know how phplogger works. Like does it create its own log files and if so where are they storred becuase I cannot find them...

logs are stored in the database you entered in the setup process. each account has its own three tables - xxxx_logs, xxxxx_mpdl and xxxxx_ipcheck. logs are stored in the logs table, multipage hits and downloads and keywords in mpdl table and ipcheck is for identifying your unique visitors.

just have a look into your mysql-folder in your pphlogger dir to see the structure. use phpmyadmin to see the content itself.

> 5) Would it not be better to have the option of having the stats compiled each night instead of in real time, so that when you click on stats it calls a file that is allready compiled rather than having to run a query when you click the link.. ( If that is how the program works, I don't know just guessing)

pphloggers interest is realtime statistics. it is not supposed to cumulate data across the days and then compile the stats each night. compiling cumulated data would afford the possibility of the webmaster to run daily CRON jobs on his server, and more than 95 percent of the ppglogger using webmasters do not have this possibility.
changing real time stats to compiled stats would afford a complete rewrite of pphlogger. if you wanna do so, have fun and good luck ,-)

me for myself workarounded problems with too many logs a day by putting each stat on a single page and do heavy caching, but it was a hard time to get to the current result visible at my website. but this won't solve your calendar problem.

[%sig%]
jamesCMM4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Calander Timeout Reply with quote
thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response to my questions. I will pass the info. onto my programmer and get him to make the necessary changes when he gets some time...

thanks again, and phplogger is the best "off the shelf" stats package I have used, and have been in business on the net since 96.. :)

James
Webslave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you post that script ? It's opensource, so it would be a great help for us all!
sdjl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Webslave, notice this post was last used over 2 years ago...
You are likely not to get a response.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    phpee.com Forum Index -> PPhlogger Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1