PHPee.com PHP development forum
Internet Explorer 6 Privacy Eye Remover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    phpee.com Forum Index -> Phlogger3 feature requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MArkone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Internet Explorer 6 Privacy Eye Remover Reply with quote
Idea It would be cool if there was a work around for the privacy feature in IE6 and future browsers that support this technology.

The W3C has some guidelines around this technology:

http://www.w3.org/P3P/#what

Quote:
The Platform for Privacy Preferences Project (P3P), developed by the World Wide Web Consortium, is emerging as an industry standard providing a simple, automated way for users to gain more control over the use of personal information on Web sites they visit. At its most basic level, P3P is a standardized set of multiple-choice questions, covering all the major aspects of a Web site's privacy policies. Taken together, they present a clear snapshot of how a site handles personal information about its users. P3P-enabled Web sites make this information available in a standard, machine-readable format. P3P enabled browsers can "read" this snapshot automatically and compare it to the consumer's own set of privacy preferences. P3P enhances user control by putting privacy policies where users can find them, in a form users can understand, and, most importantly, enables users to act on what they see.

Idea I don't know if this could be built in to the user settings screen so when they setup the account they had the option of answering the appropriate questions and having this data incorporated to the tracking script.

Regards

Markone
sdjl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would be very nice to have this built in already.
It's really very simple to do yourself once you have gotten your head around the mountain of paper work for P3P!

I've managed to do this for my logging software and it works a treat.
You can add a compact policy to any script that tries to set cookies using PHP. You can also use an HTTP header to send the policy.

I'm not too sure if having this built in would be that easy. There is one very specific XML document that you need to have which describes how you use the data.

Worth looking at though Smile

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    phpee.com Forum Index -> Phlogger3 feature requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1